University Avenue Pipeline Replacement Project
The City of San Diego has more than 3,250 miles of water pipelines that provide safe, healthful drinking water to the 1.3 million residents within its service area. Some pipelines are more than 100 years old, are deteriorating, and are in need of replacement, repair and upgrades. To avoid future service disruptions, such as water main breaks, the aging pipelines are replaced or rehabilitated. The new pipelines will bring the existing water pipes or mains up to modern standards, accommodate community growth and reduce maintenance requirements.
The University Avenue Pipeline Replacement Project will replace approximately 4.33 miles (22,722 feet) of pipeline within the University Heights, Hillcrest and North Park communities. The project will also reconstruct pedestrian curb-ramps to facilitate access with persons with disabilities. City street surfaces will be reconstructed with slurry seal, paving and striping as needed with vegetation and landscaping within the impacted areas.
- University Avenue Pipeline – Replace existing 20-, 24-, 30- and 36- inch cast iron mains with 16-inch Plastic and Vinyl Combination (PVC) pipe.
- Park Boulevard Pipeline – Replace 16 inch cast iron and asbestos cement main with 16-inch PVC pipe.
- 5th Avenue Pipeline – Replace 24-inch cast iron pipeline with 16-inch PVC pipe.
- Robinson Avenue Pipeline – Replace 16-inch cast iron main with 16-inch PVC pipe.
- Segment of University Avenue Pipeline (390 Zone) – Replace 24-inch and 30-inch cast iron main with 36 inch cement mortar lined and coated steel pipeline.
Completion of Project Design: June 30, 2014
Construction: May 2015 through Spring 2018*
- Phase 1 Construction Schedule (May 2015 through September 2015)
- 5th Ave. from Robinson Ave. to Washington St.
- Washington St. from 5th Ave. to 3rd Ave.
- Phase 2 Construction Schedule (June 2015 through August 2015)
- University Ave. from Park Blvd. to Florida St.
- Phase 3 Construction Schedule (October 2015 through May 2016**)
- University Ave., from 5th Ave. to Park Blvd. 5th Ave.
- Phase 4 Construction Schedule (June 2016 through January 2017**)
- Robinson Ave., From 5th Ave. to Park Blvd. and on Park Blvd. approximately 60 feet north of Robinson Ave.
- Phase 8 Construction Schedule (July 2015 through December 2015)
- Washington St. from Hawk St. to 3rd Ave.
Find more like this: News